There is a battle going on. No, I am not talking about Washington D.C. or the Middle East – though I could easily do that. I am talking a little closer to home – like your mind. There is a battle going on in your mind. Hollywood depicts it as a mini-me devil on one shoulder and a mini-me angel on the other. They bicker and advice and try convince me to do evil or to do goo. And the one we listen to wins.
But we all know it is not always that easy – and we should know this is nothing new. Paul talks about when he want to do the right thing, evil is right there – it lies close at hand (Rom 7.21). We struggle and we battle and we go forward and we move back. Books like Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back, The Pursuit of Holiness, Battlefield of the Mind, or Crash the Chatterbox hit some of these points.
Many say the battle is in the heart – for out of the heart comes desires, most often not that good. Others say it is the mind where the battle is – for as a man thinketh, so does he. Actually is says As a man thinkers in his heart, so does he. Oh the confusion.
Basically, it is an internal battle that is waging in each and every one of us. And I strongly believe in 2 For 10.5, We are to bring every thought captive – captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ. But how?
Before I share some specific ways, let me share a big principle – it is never a one and done deal. The battle will always be around until we go home – that home in the sky. We are to watch and pray that we do not fall into temptation – we are to be vigilant and alert.
Here are some strategies to the battle …
- Realize you are not in this battle alone, the Spirit of God is with you
- Think on positive things, stop dwelling on the negative. What are positive things? Read Phil. 4.8. When you have a negative thought, right then, realize it and give it tot the Lord to let Him give you the strength to overcome
- Get to know the love and grace of God – meditate on the Word, memorize it
- Never forget you are loved. Some battles will be lost, but God’s grace and love is greater than any mistakes or slip ups we will ever do
- Build others up. I find if we are helping others we keep our mind on the positive
- Be thankful in all things
- Read these and repeat …
These are some of the strategies I have tried to use. What are some of yours? I just picked up David Jeremiah’s newest book of the month (it’s like he writes one all the time) – Overcomer. I am excited to see what I can glean to live the battle warrior, overcomer life of a believer.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,
whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence,
if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Like the old story of an owner of two dogs who would always fight – when asked who he thought would win, he said the one he feeds. So in the battle in our mind and hearts, let’s feed the one who desires to glorify God in everything
Part Two – Renew Your Mind – Tomorrow