It’s TOP TEN DAY!! I want to pass this challenge on to you. A challenge I was given awhile back – to list the top ten moments in my life – ten moments that impacted my journey and my story. Now this is not easy – there are so many – and I had to break it into categories – like with Lisa, with Calvin, basic events excluding Lisa, firsts, and so on. Then I took the challenge to the next level and started several TOP TEN lists for books that impacted me, conversations in my life, songs, people of influence, objects I have, and so forth.
So, on the tenth of every month I will give a new list – and a new challenge for you to make your own list. And this is my first TOP TEN DAY.
Today’s list … Moments in my life (not including events specifically shared with Lisa or Calvin). The list is in no specific order, though kind of chronological. This was the hardest of the list – so many events and so many that could have easily been on it.
- Kneeling in front of a chair in my Father’s office at Orcutt Baptist Church. I asked Jesus into my life, asked for forgiveness, and I look to this event as the day I was born again.
- My First Soccer Goal for North Mecklenburg’s soccer team. This showed me that my brothers weren’t the only ones who did sports. Andy & Jon always beat me in every sport (except chess) but this event helped build confidence.
- James Robison Crusade in Charlotte NC. Now I don’t remember anything about the event, but I do remember God working in my life and drawing me into a time of re-commitment. One of my youth group and others prayed with me afterwards, and this time of re-dedication was the time I owned the faith for myself.
- My girl friend’s overdose in high school. Now she is fine but this event changed the way I relate to those in every relationship I have ever had after this event, especially females. My own stupidity led to this event and I thank the Lord she is fine and I grew greatly because of this event.
- Jose’. I don’t know his last name, or even where he is today. But at a youth camp I helped with, I was used by the Lord in a conversation with Jose’ to his praying to be born again. I had witnessed to others before this, but Jose’ was the first person I prayed with personally to receive Christ. Later I learned he became a leader in the state youth ministry of the Church of God for Texas.
- Surrendering to the call in a cow field in Richardson TX. On a rainy night, I walked out of my UTD’s Mathematics of Relativity class, roamed around a cow field in the rain and mud, and realized that God wanted me in full-time vocational ministry. The phone call after this to my father is also part of this event.
- My first sermon. This took place in Garland. It was from Hebrews 10 – and my father was there. I will never forget.
- Promise Keepers SITG. I went to several, but the Stand In The Gap in 1997 was an event that challenged me for impacting men in the life of the church, challenged me to living with integrity, and challenged me to live as a man in the gap in this world.
- My introduction into hiking. Whether it was my first real hike at Humpback Rock or my first real challenge at Old Rag – these two hikes epitomize my new and deep passion for this outdoor, life-changing activity. I wish I had started this 40 years ago.
- Reading my fist publication to my father on his bed during his final days. I was not in Delaware when he had his home-going, but I was for a few days prior to that – and during those few days I was there, I read Scripture, my first published article, and had some great conversations. I treasure that. It also gave me insight to treasuring every relationship.
Honorable Mentions …
Working with Dr. Rooker on the HCSB translation, my father resigning from Grace Temple and leaving me in Dallas, my week at the US Naval Academy, mission trip to Canada, Passion weekend in Atlanta, defending my thesis, plus a few stupid moments due to me acting idiotically (even bad events will impact our story). Moments with Lisa and/or Calvin are on lists all to themselves.
The Challenge – These moments, these stepping stones, are events God used to create the man I am. You have your own stepping stone events. Maybe you should start (and share) your own top ten lists.