Oops … I never posted the sixth of the six part series. So for all you waiting on the edge of your seat this past couple of weeks, you can relax now, here it is …
It’s a community event. People are taking time off work … to work. And on this huge project, we have seen various types of responses to the construction project. So far in Nehemiah 3, we have looked at five types of people found in this important endeavor of rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem …
- Leadership is setting the example
- Some people worked in areas outside their area of skill sets
- Some people are willing to work in unappealing areas (the dirty jobs)
- Some people are willing to work harder than others
- There almost always some that just refuse to help and get involved
But this next group is one that might be missed in a casual reading of the chapter. Four words. The simple ending of a sentence about the efforts of a politician – yes, a politician getting his hands dirty at a construction site. Doing actual physical labor. That fact alone might be so shocking, so unusual that you could miss the final four words of verse 12.
He and his daughters. Forget for a moment the fact this is the only mention of women getting involved – which is important. Forget the politician doing work angle. There is a great truth seen here.
This verse shows us that Shallum took advantage of the mission endeavor to get his family involved. He took his kids to the wall rebuilding project, an important act of service to the Lord, and he made it a family event.
Dad not only set the example – he got his girls involved in the service project.
Dads – what a great lesson. Get your kids engaged. There is no age limit shown here, for there is really no age too early to get your kids helping.
- Help deliver meals to those on need
- Decorate cards to be sent to homebound
- Visit the hospital together (back when you could get in – and obviously within healthy conditions)
- Help change the oil or check the tires for a widow
- Serve in a ministry together (cleaning between services at church, yard work, setting up for an event, play in a worship band)
- Prayer walk together
- ___________________ (add your own here)
What great memories can be made when a family serves together.
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.