One of the most influential evangelical theologians of the last hundred years was JI Packer. Prolific writer, deep thinker, and powerful communicator … Packer’s works changed my life. So today, I’d like to share some quotes from his works.
- A little knowledge of God is worth more than a great deal of knowledge about him.
- Disregard the study of God, and you sentence yourself to stumble and blunder through life blindfolded, as it were, with no sense of direction and no understanding of what surrounds you. This way you can waste your life and lose your soul.
- Psalms teach us how to worship; Proverbs, how to behave; Job, how to suffer; Song of Solomon, how to love; and Ecclesiastes, how to live.
- To be right with God the Judge is a great thing, but to be loved and cared for by God the Father is greater.
- There is no moment when God’s eye is off me, or His attention distracted from me, and no moment, therefore, when His care falters.
- God’s way of saving men is to send out His servants to tell them the gospel, and the Church has been charged to go into all the world for that very purpose.
- The pursuit of holiness is thus no mere private hobby, nor merely a path for a select few, but a vital element in Christian mission strategy today. The world’s greatest need is the personal holiness of Christian people.
- Adoption is the highest privilege of the gospel. The traitor is forgiven, brought in for supper, and given the family name. To be right with God the Judge is a great thing, but to be loved and cared for by God the Father is greater.
- A half truth masquerading as the whole truth becomes a complete untruth.
- The Scriptures are the lifeline God throws us in order to ensure he and we stay connected while the rescue is in process.
- The traveler through the Bible landscape misses his way as soon as he loses sight of the hill called Calvary.
I hope you have some author, someone who has influenced like JI Packer has me.
Much of these were collected here and